This is the perfect time of year for this warm and tasty chowder! This dish can be made vegan or traditional style.
Use a Dutch oven or large pot for this recipe.
- 4 cups of Frozen Corn or 6 to 7 Ears of Fresh Corn
- 1 cup of Yellow Onions – chopped fine
- ½ cup of Carrots – peeled and diced
- ¼ cup of Red Bell Pepper – diced
- ¼ cup of Celery – chopped medium
- 4 Cloves of Garlic – minced
- 3 stalks of Green Onion – chopped green parts
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp of Thyme – dried
- ½ tsp of Rosemary – dried
- 1 lb of Red Potatoes
- 4 Cups of Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- ½ cup of Half and Half/ or Oat Milk
- 1 cup of Whole Milk/ or Cashew Milk
- 1 cup of smoked sausage/or 5 pieces of bacon/ or 2 vegan sausage links
- If using fresh corn –cut the kernels off the cob and then use a spoon to scrape the excess pulp. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add 4 cups of corn kernels and 2 cups chicken broth to a blender. Process until smooth, 1 minute on medium speed.
- Add choice of meat to the large Dutch oven or pot. Heat the pot over medium heat, cook and stir meant unit done, or bacon until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add onions, red bell pepper, carrots, and celery. Cook until onions are translucent and vegetables are tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and thyme, rosemary and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of corn kernels and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add potatoes, corn puree, 1 cup of chicken or vegetable broth, milk, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Bring soup to boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Stir every few minutes and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and discard bay leaf. Stir in the half-and-half and parsley.
- Salt and pepper as desired.
- Add chopped green onion when plating